photobucket

Friday, September 17, 2010

Jon Bula IMC




Guys

Thanks for the coaching these past few months. I feel like I had a really successful race. Tara the pre race meeting was great. You pushed me to go faster than I had planned and it paid off. Great advice for the swim and the bike (attacking the rollers was awesome).

IM 2008: Swim – 1:22:49, Bike – 5:49:49, Run – 4:17:59

IM 2010 Swim – 1:06:56, Bike – 5:37:50, Run – 3:48:07


Too bad the conditions were the shits as I really think I could have posted a crazy low bike time. By the way I forgot my heart rate monitor so I had to race ‘by feel’. I was pretty rattled for a while in the morning but then I just pushed it out of my head and told myself that people used to race all the time without monitors so don’t be a pussy.

The decent down from Yellow Lake was some of the scariest shit I’ve ever done on a road bike. I started to have some minor mechanical issues (due to the excessive amount of water I’m sure) and I saw three racers go down on corners. At one point I swore at the sky at the top of my lungs saying “Bring it on M….F….,” crazy stuff.

My quads have been really sore (better today) and I’m wondering if either of you experience this after an IM. My quads were getting really sore during the run and I’m wondering if that was because of something I missed in training, hydration, electrolyte balance, or just me. The same thing happened in 2008, but never in a half IM. I felt like I had the energy to run faster, but it was too painful. I was holding 8 min/mile pace for the first 15 miles or so, but then my quads were killing me every step and my pace suffered.

I will have a few new referrals for you guys for next season so at some point we need to talk a little business. My plan for the next year is to race my mountain bike in Portugal at the end of April (1200km in 12 days/stages) and then tackle a few Olympic tri’s and half IM and really try and get fast (love speed).

No comments:

Post a Comment