photobucket

Friday, September 17, 2010

allison's race report

Subaru Ironman Canada 2010

August 29th 2010

Time: 11:45:12
Place: 22/77 in W25-29, 741 Overall

Swim: 1:04 (1:42/100m)
Bike: 6:17 (17.8m/hour)
Run: 4:13:15 (9:40/mile)




The morning of the race, was fairly clear, slightly chilly at about 9 degrees as it had been all week. Not the sweltering heat I had been expecting for sure. Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a banana and coffee. We were at the transition just after 5am, although most of my gear and bike had been dropped the day before. I got body marked, checked my bike and transition bags, and went for a quick 10min run and bathroom break in Starbucks. Next, time to get the wetsuit on and swim warm up already – I was sure to get in pretty early around 6:25am! By now the sun was coming up, although the temperatures remained low. As the clock ticked down towards 7am, I had some nervous butterflies that I tried to ignore and just made my way towards the front and centre of the swim, trying to forget that there were 2700 people surrounding me, mostly behind. Soon the bagpipes sent the pro’s on their way, then after an O Canada, it was 3-2-1 go announced by Steve King.

As soon as I started swimming I realized this was going to be like no other swim I had done before, sort of like swimming in a crowded bathtub. With the strategy to go out hard and try to get on the feet, that’s exactly what I did, although I don’t know if I could have avoided being on someone’s feet anyhow with the sheer number of people everywhere! I was kicked, punched, rammed into numerous times, and as I always seem to do when I’m swimming I lost track of time. I tried to count the buoys for a bit, but of course lost count. Eventually I realized I was really sweating inside my wetsuit, which I took as a good sign that I must be swimming hard, because I don’t normally notice that. Finally we got to the houseboat that marked the first turn By this point I was swallowing lots of water too. I did notice it was mostly yellow caps around me (ie. Men,) which I took to be a positive sign. Turning the last houseboat the sun was super bright right into our eyes, making it very difficult to tell what sort of progress I was making towards the swim exit. My only complaint about the course was the big gap between the last marker and the shore that made it very difficult to see if you were swimming in the correct direction. At last I could see the bottom of the lake and knew soon it was time to stand up – and out at last.

My transition was not stellar –at this point I had no idea what my swim time was, but hoped it was a good as I felt. I threw on my ‘gardening gloves’, and arm warmers and hopped on the bike. I thought I paced myself fairly well – taking it pretty chill along MacLean Creek and along the flats to Oosyos. Big packs of people came by providing me with little spurts of draft. The sun was out fully by this time and I tossed the gloves at an aid station. I took care to eat/drink, as was the plan. I was getting really toasty heading up Richter Pass, which I did in a moderate 35min. Then down the hill and through the rollers, I was feeling good even coming into Keremoes – although that’s when the winds come whirling through and seemed to zap and suck my energy. I was happy to turn on to the out and back and the winds calmed slightly on this section. I saw Susie and Shannon here, and got my fresh Cytomax/Carbopro bottle at the Special needs. I took a quick outhouse stop – and getting back on my bike this is where I never seemed to get my groove back. The winds really picked up so they were gusting and pushing against me in a way I hadn’t experienced at this section of the course on previous rides heading up to Yellow Lake. The temperature had dramatically dropped – later I found out to 10 degrees and then the skies opened and drenched us with an icy cold rain to top it all off. Here I was passed by Jen Howitt and Lindsay Byers, and I think I half heartedly tried to stay with them, but soon they were gone ahead of me. I had been so so looking forward to the energy of Yellow Lake, but I was so water logged and cold by the time I got there, all I could think was when is this bike going to be over and how am I ever going to do a marathon after this. Definitely, one of my lowest points of the day. In all the cold, I had forgotten to drink – of course I had kept eating, but not drinking would come back to haunt me a bit later. Seeing Mom, Dad, Kate, and Ramsey (and the Beavers) with signs in Yellow Lake was great. After a cold descent into Penticton, and a long trip up Main Street finally I arrived in at the transition. Yippy!

So another not too speedy transition and I was off on the run. The sun was back out and the crowds were great. I heard lots of comments about my smile, my comfortable pace, and how great I looked….yeah, yeah I was thinking. Out past Skaha, along the lake towards OK falls I headed – passed a few, was passed by a few and was honestly feeling pretty darn good until about 9miles at McClean Creek road where we hit the first real hill. I think it wasn’t long from there that every muscle in my lower legs started cramping – quads, hamstrings, calves, and I knew I was in a bit of trouble. I walked along for a bit at this point – feeling a bit low, wondering if I was going to have a long, long walk home? So half running/stumbling/limping/falling into OK falls I arrived to a group of cheering NSTCers and my parents. I did not look happy I’m sure, and I hope I didn’t give them too many bad looks, but I was really struggling here. I didn’t care anymore about my time – I was not enjoying the pain! I walked/ran out of OK falls and slowly the running started to be more than the walking until I was running aid station to aid station with just short walks in between. I may have ‘drafted’ a bit behind some taller/bigger men because again the winds really started to pick up and were gusting! Slowly, slowly I checked off the miles and really by mile 19, I was feeling ‘good’ if you can say that again. Coming into Skaha, a man chatted with me confident that we would be under 12 hours. I was feeling a bit more positive about myself and the whole experience. I knew I was going to make it now at least! Ramsey met me about 4 miles out on his bike, he cheered me in – and hopefully I didn’t give him too many evil looks (sorry, Honey!). Inching closer and closer I kept imagining what the finish line was going to feel like. Counting down the aid stations. No more walking. As I turned onto Lakeshore I saw my family on the corner and Mom let out a ‘Whoop, whoop!’ with her arm in the air. I felt like a rock star making my way along that blvd. My legs propelling me as smoothly and gracefully (right!) as I could towards the finish. A big grin on my face, I tried to soak in the atmosphere of that moment. I recall hearing something about physiotherapist… first ironman… pumping music and I hit the banner filled with exhilaration!

No comments:

Post a Comment