photobucket

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

greg mackie imc 2011 race report


Pre Race
1. How did your pre race ritual turn out? – Ok except I lost my morning bag with my HR monitor
2. How did you feel pre race? – Not great, didn’t sleep more than a few hours, had stomach issues
3. Anything you feel may have helped your pre race? – I wish I had a kitchen vs staying in a hotel
4. Did you feel ready for the race? – physically ready but little sleep and stomach problems going in
Swim
1. Where did you start? – Waited a minute and started on the right side
2. Did this work for you? – Worked fine but got lost after the first turn (detour to the houseboat that wasn’t the next turn) cost me some time
3. How did you feel? – Felt fine but not as good as last year
4. Any problems? – None other than the second turn where I went towards the house boat instead of the buoys
5. Positives – I knew I wasn’t having a great swim while I was out there
6. How was your sighting ie. were you all over the place? – as mentioned, probably cost me a few minutes
7. Did you get smacked? – No
8. Were you drafting efficiently? – nope, Troy drafted me
9. What was your time? – 1:20 and last year I was 1:13
Bike
1. How was your transition from swim to bike? – SLOW, this was when I realized I forgot my HR monitor but I went back to find it in my transition bag then figured out after that I never put it there (10 min transition)
2. How was your nutrition strategy? – I think it was good but I wasn’t feeling great going in
3. How was your hydration? – Tried to have a bottle between every aid station alternating water and perform
4. Any mechanicals or flat tires? - No
5. How were the climbs? – easy spinning
6. Any problems? – not really but no watch so I had to guess a bit on salt pills per hour
7. Positives – rode with Troy most of the day so we chatted lots but I knew I could be riding harder without impacting my run too much however, I decided to take it easy
8. Any highs and lows in terms of energy? – Causton always seems to be my low on that ride
9. Did you know where you were on the course? - Yes
Run
1. How was your transition from bike to run? – Fine, not very fast though
2. How was your nutrition? – Guts started to really hurt here; had trouble eating or drinking
3. How was your hydration? – I should have brought a water bottle with me as I wasn’t able to drink as much as I needed to at the aid stations
4. Any problems? - Major stomach cramping and multiple bathroom stops…it was brutal
5. Positives – Not quitting...haha
6. Any lows and highs during the run? There were no highs on the run
7. How did you feel finishing? – Not good other than being done
Overall how did you feel about your race? Did it reach your expectations? Will you do another one? Any problems with the race at all in terms of organization and execution done by the race organizers?
Overall I hoped for better for sure; I thought that if I had a good day I could be under 12 hours but I had a feeling that morning that it wasn’t going to be my day based on little sleep and stomach issues going in to the race. The HR monitor would have helped my bike as I would have gone harder than I did but I’m not sure it would have mattered too much. Some days you feel great and some days you don’t; the run was a real test for me as I really couldn’t even jog my stomach hurt so much. I was dehydrated for a couple days after while drinking a lot to try and recover. My legs felt great though…guess that’s what happens when you can’t really push it.
I’m taking a year off IM but will focus on some biking as that is what I really enjoy the most. I think I will do it again in 2013. Don’t want that day to be my last IM.
Thanks for all your help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment